Today together with Vladimir Shilnikov lets think about winter roads. As strange as it may sound but this topic is especially intersting for Sherp users exactly in summer.
(These are thoughts of an amateur for same amateurs)
But really, why does Sherp need winter roads? And what exactly is “winter road”. I will try to tell and show you in this text.
- OK, to start with, I will give you a definition from a dictionary: “A winter road is a temporary road, that is laid only in winter on snowy land, river or lake ice”. I will add that witer roads usually use from year to year, that is why they usually stay on the same route. Also for them cut forest if it’s necessary. But as soon as the snow leaves, the road disappears. The only thing left is the direction across swamps, lake and rivers, across streams and ravines.
- That was an intro. Now the main idea. The big ATV expedition “To the East!” recently crossed the border of Krasnoyarsk area with the territory of Sakha Republic (Yakutiya). The border is administrative, no poles or check points. And as it usually is in the adjacent territories – there are no roads. No have been and no to be expected. That is why we followed map and used space photographs, while choosing the optimal route. Often we went on the swamps, looking for narrow sides in the forests between them. Sometimes we used sparse forest, zigzagging among the trees. Hard pieces in relief forced us to look for detours and the more comfortable passages to cross water obstacles. That is why the track looks really complicated, far from straight.
- But it wasn’t always like that. Sometimes we found an old track of a large track vehicle or find a long forgotten sledge road. These are tracks form the previous people’s activity, which was conducted a few decades ago. Then our track becomes straighter and the speed goes up. But this happiness doesn’t last long. Often the road disappears in young plants and finishes on the lake shore and we couldn’t find the continuation from the other side. After that our track became complicated again. That is why to find a winter road in these places is a big luck.
- This strange road, disappearing in swamps, lakes and rivers in summer, remains to be a road for Sherps. That capacity of passability, that sometimes feels too much and takes away certain road qualities from Sherps, here is quite the opposite. The ATVs easily pass across swampy lands, rivers, lakes etc. So, basically, they go the same as they would in winter, but a little slower, because the surface is not solid. I’d even say it’s liquid and viscous. But for Sherps very suitable. Because these ATVs are at home and they don’t care what is underneath their wheels.
- Winter roads that we follow in summer, despite seeming unpassable, help us a lot in choice of trajectory. And that is really good for us, because that means less time spent for navigation and the speed becomes faster, trajectory straighter. That is why we keep looking for winter roads and follow them whenever possible.
Currently we are moving along the shore of Arga-Sala river. Winter road are good, but now it is much more convenient to move along the river – the floodplain is rather wide. Very easily passable and very beautiful shores, a lot of shallow waters and pebble-sandy beaches. What is also important, here the fishing is great. For this we can spend a few extra kilometers and days on the road. End in end it is not a chase, but an expedition.
The organizers and participants of the expedition thank their partners and sponsors:
The company Ravenol, the main technical partner
Iridium Russia, thanks to them the team will always be connected. The equipment for the data transfer was made available by the companies “Satellite mobile technologies” and “Iridium 360”
Product sponsor for the expedition – the company X5 Retail Group, managing brands “Pyaterochka”, ‘Perekrestok” and “Karusel” for the support of the idea of moving to the east
Technical partner Paptor U-Pol
Garmin Russia – for the navigation and action cameras Garmin Virb
Webasto – technical partner and sponsor of the expedition
Company “Dinakor – strength technologies” and brand Kubota
Company DJI alongside the 4vision.ru – the provider of quadcopters for the video shooting from the air
4×4 Club and brand Warn
“Medical technologies of survival” for the organization of the medical part of the expedition and the expedition’s medical kits
KB “Radar”, transport company “Promit” for the help in transportation of the cargo to the East
Informational partners of the expedition:
National Geographic Russia, Popular mechanic, Men’s Health, strana.ru, vesti.ru, Russia.travel.ru