- In the morning we continued moving along the stream. We followed the river until we got to a fresh track that led us to the village. On the map it is called Kulun-Elbyut. At first sight it looks solid. Although we almost didn’t spend any time there, but it is quite clear that people live well here.
- Then we followed the winter road that ended at the far mowing. We tried hard to find its path that is marked on the map across the mountainous part of the Indirika river left bank. But it was unsuccessful. The road simply disappeared. That is why we decided to cross the river to find another winter road leading to Honyy (or Moma, which is the second name of the settlement). As we went down the shore we met a motor boat. At a small island we had a small meeting with the locals of Honuu. They were representatives of GIMS (fire and ecological brigade at the same time). In fact we were accompanied from one village to the other, people told about us to each other with use of phones, and therefore this meeting was not entirely unexpected. It was pleasant to be honest. While being accompanied by the emergency service workers we crossed the rapid warers of the Indigirka and went to a place of inflow or the river Ilin-Esselyakh into the Indigirka. Honuu was twenty five kilometers away and we should get there tomorrow.
- We got up early as usual and took course to Honuu. The second name is Moma. It seems that this is a more known and used name here. The river flowing into Indigirka is also called Moma.
- We got there quickly. We were expected. Soon UAS came with our acquaintances. Those were the people from yesterday’s motor boat. Before entering the settlement we took a traditional photo near the noticeboard. We were taken straight to the administration building where we met with the head of administration Cheremkin Pyotr Nikolaevich. We had a very interesting conversation about the history of the region, its culture, traditions, geography and many other aspects of Momsk region. At the end of the meeting Pyotr Nikolaevich gave us a colorful album about the Indigirka river. This river is connected to the settlements life. It is loved and respected by all the citizens.
- We spent some time there. Fueled up, went to the post office and shops, washed in a steam room. We went back on the road in the evening. After twenty something kilometers we stayed for the night at some small river that flows into the Moma. Next morning we woke early as usual, got ready and went ahead. All day we were going along the winter road that in summer didn’t really look like a road, it is just a direction across swamps and taiga. Sometimes when crossing the many inflows the winter road dissapers and we need to move by the azimuth. We stayed for the night at one of the Moma’s inflows. At night I dreamt of huge mammoths with large tusks.
- Our water adventures started right in the morning. The river Moma is quite rapid and the stream speed is two meters per second. Even naked eye can see how the water is passing by quickly. However we’ve got great experience so we crossed from one shore to the other. Then we go on an island, then another shallow beach and again in a circle. The stream takes us back, but we go back and move up. One step backward and two steps ahead. Sometime later the shore hills get closer to the river and we leave it to move on swamps and sparse forest. Then at some point we go back into the river, using the safety equipment not to turn upside down. This is to be able to get around a narrow canyon that can’t be crossed another way. Then back up and to the shore. That is where we finally found the winter road. The rest of the day we were moving along it. On the right hand side in five hundred meters there was a large Momsk ice field according to the map. The road, if it can be called that at all, took us to the horse herdsmen’s base. This spot on the map is called “Tarabynina’s urt”. But people say that no one has lived here for a long time.
The organizers and participants of the expedition thank their partners and sponsors:
The company Ravenol, the main technical partner
Iridium Russia, thanks to them the team will always be connected. The equipment for the data transfer was made available by the companies “Satellite mobile technologies” and “Iridium 360”
Product sponsor for the expedition – the company X5 Retail Group, managing brands “Pyaterochka”, ‘Perekrestok” and “Karusel” for the support of the idea of moving to the east
Technical partner Paptor U-Pol
Garmin Russia – for the navigation and action cameras Garmin Virb
Webasto – technical partner and sponsor of the expedition
Company “Dinakor – strength technologies” and brand Kubota
Company DJI alongside the 4vision.ru – the provider of quadcopters for the video shooting from the air
4×4 Club and brand Warn
Zinc – navigation programs for all terrain and expeditions. It helps us stay the course!
“Medical technologies of survival” for the organization of the medical part of the expedition and the expedition’s medical kits
KB “Radar”, transport company “Promit” for the help in transportation of the cargo to the East
Transport company “Promit” for help with package deliveries
Informational partners of the expedition:
National Geographic Russia, Popular mechanic, Men’s Health, strana.ru, vesti.ru, Russia.travel.ru