The expedition has started the final stage of the trip. In Bilibino we rested and then the caravan has started its way to Anadyr. Nonetheless our diaries continue. Vladimir Nikolaev is describing the way from Cherskiy to Bilibino and tells us about the adventures that found them along the way.
- 13 October we left for Cherskiy quite late, around 12:30. We had to go to the local shop for produce, then there was a photoshoot with the locals. On the way from Cherskiy to Bilibino there is a road, which you can take (or so people say) even in summer, but it is really full of tracks with large mark, but this is only to the border with Chukotka. Thereafter we were promised to find a good dirt road. We stationed for the night in 10 kms with the Chukotskiy Autonomous Region. All day from the morning until now there was really strong wind and a snowstorm. There was so much snow that you couldn’t leave without boots. The temperature was actually above zero. Despite the road conditions and the late departure today we managed to move for 66 kms.
- 14 october we left in the morning. We used a dirt road that started right on the border between Chukotka and Yakutiya. We said our goodbyes to Yakutiya and headed off. It was a little sad to leave this amazing area with its kind people and great nature. At some point in my life I will definitely go back there.
- We have been riding for three hours in the dark. Today we passed 133 kilometers. The average speed was 20 -22 km per hour. The weather was good, it was calm and slightly above zero. We could have done more kilometers but at 6PM we met a guy running towards us across tundra with a flashlight attached to his forehead. He and his friend were going back home after hunting and their tracks went off the wheels. The guys needed help. It is not custom here to leave people in trouble. We spent like an hour and half, and then we pulled the ATV onto the dirt road. The men’s vehicle stationed in 30 kilometers from the place where we were and the keys from the vehicle were in a hunt house in 5 more kilometers from there. We left the ATV on the road because it couldn’t ride 30 kilometers and went together with the guys until the turn for the hunting house.
- Pasha went with them to get the keys. I stayed and as a guy on duty I decided to fry and braise elk meat. An hour later we were already sitting in the back section of the large ATV and drinking tea with amazingly tasty elk. The meat was really tasty. I actually like it more than venison.
- We said goodbye to those guys quite late, it was 2am. The men offered us to visit their steam room tomorrow.
- 15 october we got to Bilibino. We rode for 74 kilometers. The weather was the same as yesterday. The road too. On the footsteps to the town we were greated by Vyacheslav Zagoskin. He is a very well-known person on Chukotka. He is a very experienced geologist who went round the entire Chukotka on his GAS-71. When we reached his house we left the ATVs and went to have some tea. Vyacheslav has got a lovely family. Imagine that his wife and two sons are all geologists. Vyacheslav himself is also a great guy. He told us so many interesting stories from his life that our tea ceremony could well go into dinner. I’d love to listen to his stories for longer.
- After the pleasurable tea meeting we went to the local lore museum. At the same time we did some sightseeing. There are almost 5 thousand people there.
- Вернувшись с музея, пошли в баню к Евгению, одному из двух мужиков которым вчера помогали с Тингером. В бане напарились, намылись, и заболтались. Просидели там аж 4 часа. Компания получилась очень хорошая.
- Now Alex and Pavel are at Vyacheslav’s talking about the track to Anadyr. The others went to bed to so kindly lent by Vyacheslav apartment in the village. Tomorrow we will fuel up and leave. Now only Anadyr awaits us. We won’t encounter any other settlements along the way. I think it will be the longest run in the entire expedition. The expedition “To the East” is continuing.
Организаторы и участники экспедиции благодарят партнеров и спонсоров экспедиции:
The expedition “to the East” is continuing…
The organizers and participants of the expedition thank their partners and sponsors:
The company Ravenol, the main technical partner
Iridium Russia, thanks to them the team will always be connected. The equipment for the data transfer was made available by the companies “Satellite mobile technologies” and “Iridium 360”
Product sponsor for the expedition – the company X5 Retail Group, managing brands “Pyaterochka”, ‘Perekrestok” and “Karusel” for the support of the idea of moving to the east
Technical partner Paptor U-Pol
Garmin Russia – for the navigation and action cameras Garmin Virb
Webasto – technical partner and sponsor of the expedition
Company “Dinakor – strength technologies” and brand Kubota
Company DJI alongside the 4vision.ru – the provider of quadcopters for the video shooting from the air
4×4 Club and brand Warn
Zinc – navigation programs for all terrain and expeditions. It helps us stay the course!
“Medical technologies of survival” for the organization of the medical part of the expedition and the expedition’s medical kits
KB “Radar”, transport company “Promit” for the help in transportation of the cargo to the East
Transport company “Promit” for help with package deliveries
Informational partners of the expedition:
National Geographic Russia, Popular mechanic, Men’s Health, strana.ru, vesti.ru, Russia.travel.ru