The team has almost reached the final point of the expedition. There are just a few kilometers left until they reach a semi-final point of the expedition. However, the diary is continuing as does the expedition.
- 19 October in the morning we turned right from a cleaned road to Pevek towards the gold mine called Volunskiy. After a few hours we reached the base of the deer herdsmen. At the base there was an outomatic meteo complex. In the house there were only father and his son. WE asked them about the road and went ahead.
- We reached a small crossing at about 800 meters above the sea level. There was not much snow. There were only 180 kms left to Volunskiy gold mine. Then we will take an unpaved road to Anadyr itself. When approaching the crossing we noticed that there was really little snow there. The road itself wasn’t covered in snow at all and Alexey started raising dust with his ten wheels. It is this amazing mountain climate. On the one side of the mountains there is so much snow, and on the other is none at all.
- Today after lunch we met a chukcha traveler on the road. He has been walking for three weeks. He left in Peveka and that is where he is headed. He did the radial. We asked him why he was doing it. He said he got tired of Russians. He wanted to talk to the chukchas, to the deer herdsmen. He looked really strange to all of us. He asked us interesting questions and I even thought he was from KGB.
- Later along the way towards 5PM we encountered a geological expedition. They have been working since the 20th of August in these parts. There were 17 people, 3 Urals, 2 track vehicles and a Tracol. They were repairing their roller, soldering it to the lever. The men were also heading for Anadyr. Once again we asked about the route and left.
- Today we rode for the record breaking 230 km. It is a great result, but I think it will be the last too, because there are no more of such roads ahead of us. We left at 7:20 AM on the dot. We got stationed for the night at 9pm. We had dinner with deer tongues and went to bed.
- 20 October the entire day was a really great weather, but the wind was too strong. Until lunch time we reached Soldatskiy crossing. Vyacheslav Zagoskin told us that it was not easy. There can be too much snow and the shelf the road lays on may be heavily buried under snow. On the footsteps to the crossing there was almost no snow. As soon as we went up to the crossing a strong snowstorm had started. The visibility was up to 10 meters and it was quite scary at times. There was too much snow, but we managed to cross it. However, the men from the geological expedition will have really rough time here. As they said they would leave Urals before the crossing and will only go further on the track vehicles and a tracol. Urals will never surmount this crossing that is for sure.
- It was deep at night when we reached the gold mine Volunskiy. We stayed there for the night. When approaching the settlement we encountered a checkpoint. Pavel asked the guard about everything. Every day they blow something up, the ore is transported with 4 Belazes. Mainly they mine gold, but there is a lot of silver too. There is also a diner, where we could eat and go further. But we decided not to eat at the diner. Tomorrow we will go towards Anadyr on the track road as the dirt road has come to an end. Today we passed 176 kms.
- I am not even going to begin to describe the beauty of Chukotka, because I am just not that eloquent. But you can see everything on the pictures.
- 21 October before lunch time we reached a naked tundra. There are no mountains of any kind. There are only small hills from time to time. The entire track way has been ridden back and forth with numerous vehicles. So many tracks could be seen. Tundra has frozen, ice appeared on the puddles so we were going quite fast – 12 km per hour. The rivers have ice only at the shores, so from time to time we wet our wheels or even float. We passed 124 kilometers today. Tomorrow we will be in the Coal mines. It is a settlement in front of Anadyr on the other side of the estuary.
The expedition “To the East” is conitnuing.
The expedition “to the East” is continuing…
The organizers and participants of the expedition thank their partners and sponsors:
The company Ravenol, the main technical partner
Iridium Russia, thanks to them the team will always be connected. The equipment for the data transfer was made available by the companies “Satellite mobile technologies” and “Iridium 360”
Product sponsor for the expedition – the company X5 Retail Group, managing brands “Pyaterochka”, ‘Perekrestok” and “Karusel” for the support of the idea of moving to the east
Technical partner Paptor U-Pol
Garmin Russia – for the navigation and action cameras Garmin Virb
Webasto – technical partner and sponsor of the expedition
Company “Dinakor – strength technologies” and brand Kubota
Company DJI alongside the 4vision.ru – the provider of quadcopters for the video shooting from the air
4×4 Club and brand Warn
Zinc – navigation programs for all terrain and expeditions. It helps us stay the course!
“Medical technologies of survival” for the organization of the medical part of the expedition and the expedition’s medical kits
KB “Radar”, transport company “Promit” for the help in transportation of the cargo to the East
Transport company “Promit” for help with package deliveries
Informational partners of the expedition:
National Geographic Russia, Popular mechanic, Men’s Health, strana.ru, vesti.ru, Russia.travel.ru