A lot of time has passed since our last report. So let me tell you the events of the recent days. Olenyok has left only the most positive emotions. In this text Vladimir Shilnikov will notify us about the first days of the adventures and the acquaintance with the locals.
- As I recall it was Friday and we were moving on the Arga-Sala river in the direction of Olenyok. Such a soft name is given to the Administrative centre (basically a capital) of Olenyok Evenkiysk national area. Our river was becoming calmer and only rarely playing with rapids. We caught a few pikes for our table. The shores were no longer steep, but quite the opposite; they were wide and lengthy pebble beaches. Those provoked us to ride with full pace. In the evening we reached the joining of Arga-Sala and Olenyok (a river with the same name as a village). At first we planned to stay here for a night, but we got connection and despite the late hour, the administration ensured us to move ten kilometers more and get to Olenyok. And that is exactly what we did. When we arrived there was a table full of food and the ready steam room for us to use.
- Saturday was a day of surprises. Right from the morning we were visited by the head of the administration – Alexandr Stepanovich Ivanov. With great pleasure we got acquainted. He is very open and kind man. In the conversation he told us about the plan for the day, which we couldn’t refuse. And later I will tell you what was awaiting us.
- Olenyok Is an administrative centre of Olenyok avenkiysk national area, the biggest area of Sakha Republic (Yakutiya). The area of the region is one sixth of the republic’s total. Here live Evenks, Yakuts and the representatives of other nationalities. The total number of the population, if I am not mistaken, is four thousand people.
- The area (in Yakutsk language “ulus”) has its own coat of arms, flag and hymn. The main occupation around here is deer herding, wild deer herding and fishing. There is also dawn of the mineral industry. They are mining diamonds, niobium, tantalus.
- By noon, as we have discussed earlier, we came to the administrative building on our ATVs. There were lots of people on the street, as if it was a theatrical performance. We went out of from the ATVs and went through an improvised chychypkaan – a traditional object for a cleansing ritual, so that the further road would be easy and unproblematic. After Alexandr Stepanovich introduced us to the locals and we had a small celebration. We had a folk group concert, a round dance, heard some worm words of greeting. After that part was over, the citizens eagerly took pictures with our ATVs on the background and asked us lots of questions about the expedition.
- When the celebration was over and people started going home, we were invited into the Administration building, where we were told in more details about life and prospects of the area development. We talked about life, fishing and deer herding.
- Two hours flew by quickly and we were already expected in the Ethnographic museum. You may say: What another one? But the thing si that the Northern world can only be learned through life and discovery. Olenyok’s museum has become that one more step in this discovery. We got a chance to learn exhibits that were crossing our experience during the expedition. In the backyard we saw samples of accommodation and activity – choom, granary, barn, sledge, steamer etc. In this small, but very cozy building there are lots of rooms with themed expositions. The Paleontological part is neighboring with deer herding, and historical part. Separately there is an exposition with the samples and mock ups of the objects for traditional hunting. The Soviet period is also presented. We could see the history of the Olenyok village settlement and the reindeer farm. On a display we saw pictures of workers and famous reindeer herdsmen, whose names have forever stayed in the history of the contemporary North. In this museum we managed to learn everything in a different world, see things differently, compare to what we have previously seen or heard. Here we managed to understand the North better and that is why we are really grateful to Prokopiy Trophimovich Savinov.
- But that is not all. In the evening, in a spacious club there was a final of “Mister and Miss Studentship 2017” competition. It was conducted as a part of Youth year 2017. It was a very bright and fiery show of the young talents, fighting for the victory. It was done very professionally and well directed. During a number of competitions, the young people presented video “business cards”, avant-garde costumes in shape of animals, they were singing and dancing, and demonstrating their talents. The audience was supporting the participants with cheers and applauded to the winners.
- This is how the first day in Olenyok ended. It left a deep mark and pleasurable memories in our heads. Then the work days have begun. We had to do some serious machines servicing, because ahead of us was more than half way, and the passed route was not easy. We have made some observations and resumes related to our experimental joint ATV. We could do certain works to enhance it right here and right now. The ATVs Sherp have shown themselves well, but they also needed servicing. So we will stay here for a little while, and will continue learning about Olenyok village.
The organizers and participants of the expedition thank their partners and sponsors:
The company Ravenol, the main technical partner
Iridium Russia, thanks to them the team will always be connected. The equipment for the data transfer was made available by the companies “Satellite mobile technologies” and “Iridium 360”
Product sponsor for the expedition – the company X5 Retail Group, managing brands “Pyaterochka”, ‘Perekrestok” and “Karusel” for the support of the idea of moving to the east
Technical partner Paptor U-Pol
Garmin Russia – for the navigation and action cameras Garmin Virb
Webasto – technical partner and sponsor of the expedition
Company “Dinakor – strength technologies” and brand Kubota
Company DJI alongside the 4vision.ru – the provider of quadcopters for the video shooting from the air
4×4 Club and brand Warn
“Medical technologies of survival” for the organization of the medical part of the expedition and the expedition’s medical kits
KB “Radar”, transport company “Promit” for the help in transportation of the cargo to the East
Informational partners of the expedition:
National Geographic Russia, Popular mechanic, Men’s Health, strana.ru, vesti.ru, Russia.travel.ru