A lot of time has passed since our expedition got to the Plutorana Plateau. Day by day the team is moving on hills and mountains, overcoming rivers and feeling all the challenges of the traveler’s life. Vladimir Shilnikov has prepared another report for us.
- The descent form Plutorans has started at the head of Khurichi river. Surprising the river doesn’t have any water steams or steep thresholds above. A couple of narrow places has kept us back a little, but didn’t bring us any trouble. Having passed the watershed we got to another river with a name Khikchekit. Riverbed is not wide, but the bottom is stony. On the river banks we encountered cemeteries. Some time ago there were deer herds, chums and life. The mountains around the river keep closing and opening, creating a wide floodplain.
- It is cool, around six above zero in the afternoon. No warmth is anticipated any time soon. Sometimes there is snow. We reached Kotuy River by following the stream. It is really close from here to the Dupkun lake. Yes, as you may have noticed the names of rivers and lakes here repeat themselves.
- From here we wanted to take winter road right to the Essey settlement, but there is no winter road. We laid a new route and headed to Khekchekit Lake. For now we have only passed first kilometers through the forests of the mountains. First mountains left behind, hello to other mountains!
- Not long ago there was an announcement that Plutorans are passed and conquered. It is and isn’t true because Plutorans haven’t ended yet. The Plateau is really huge, to be able to see and understand it in three weeks. Let alone conquer it. Life isn’t enough. So there are mountains on the right, mountains on the left, ahead and behind. They look from up there with a smirk, and only because of their mercy we are continuing our way to the East.
- A little about our trip… The expedition is moving towards Essey. In the morning we encountered a river with a very funny name – Dagaldyn. The river valley isn’t wide, around sloping mountains overgrown with forest. In comparison to Keta where all banks are sandy, Dagaldyn has mainly stony ones. Everywhere can be seen footprints of the recent flooding. Soon we found an old track from vehicles and spent some time moving along it. Whether it is a winter road or not hard to tell. This road, as we can call it that, disappeared as suddenly as it appeared. Therefore we reached Khekchekit lake though the forest, creating our own track. It may be seen from the space now.
- Khekchekit Lake has stunned us by its beauty. On this side there was all the non-melted ice, soaked with water and see-through. A small wave moves it about and we can hear crystal clink of the ice pieces mixed together with the water splashing. On the background there is an unreal picture of the mountains, as if it is a background of the huge decorations painted by a talented painter. It would be great to live here for a while, to be able to wake up and see this simple earthy beauty. But we are in a rush and we only have minutes to communicated with the nature, and that via the windscreen.
- We overtook the lake from the south part. Came to the place where a river with similar to the lake name – Khekchekit-Sane starts. On one side of the wide river flow we can see big icing of meter and a half or two. Influenced by water it starts to melt a little but most likely it will stay there until next winter. Now it pleases our eyes with its semi see-through blue colour and water droplets. Some ice pieces melted a lot on the bottom and started looking like gigantic mushrooms or flying saucers on legs. On one of them Alexey placed his ATV to make a good photo. We had to violate it.
- The remaining part of the day we went downstream. Its stream for now matches our direction – to the East. On the way I was looking at the surrounding mountains, and made an interesting observation. The slopes from the South part look more pleasant – they are round, with not a lot of larches and light reindeer moss. Nothern slopes are higher with scree and much darker because of a thick forest. In the middle between them there is a wide floodplain with stony shallows, one one of which we made our evening camp.
The organizers and participants of the expedition thank their partners and sponsors:
The company Ravenol, the main technical partner.
Iridium Russia, thanks to them the team will always be connected. The equipment for the data transfer was made available by the companies “Satellite mobile technologies” and “Iridium 360”.
Product sponsor for the expedition – the company X5 Retail Group, managing brands “Pyaterochka”, “Perekrestok” and “Karusel” for the support of the idea of moving to the east.
Technical partner Paptor U-Pol.
Garmin Russia – for the navigation and action cameras Garmin Virb.
Webasto – technical partner and sponsor of the expedition.
Company “Dinakor – strength technologies” and brand Kubota.
Company DJI alongside the 4vision.ru – the provider of quadcopters for the video shooting from the air.
4×4 Club and brand Warn.
“Medical technologies of survival” for the organization of the medical part of the expedition and the expedition’s medical kits.
Transport company “Promit” for the help in transportation of the cargo to the East.
Informational partners of the expedition:
National Geographic Russia, Popular mechanic, Men’s Health, strana.ru, vesti.ru, Russia.travel.ru